Monday, December 31, 2012

Treasured Passages

For Christmas, Shelley's always really good about getting me something sentimental. This year she got me a book titled: Treasured Passages: Connecting Hearts & Histories (For Couples). Now of course, it's extremely heteronormative (targeted towards a couple consisting of a cis-man and cis-woman), but I love it nonetheless.

I've decided to be the keeper of the book, since ya know, it was my present. I've already passed out the first cards for us to fill out, read to each other on a date, and then paste into the book. The questions on my card, obviously, had me reminiscing, and I wanted to share with you.



1. What do you remember about your...
       A. First date?

           I picked Shelley up from the airport and took her straight to Equality Utah for some reason. She met Keri Jones who asked me about a woman I was interested in down at my college. That was awkward. We went to Toaster’s for lunch, and then I took her to the mall and into the bookstore. We read some kids stories, and I held her hand for the first time. It was terrifying.

       B. First kiss?

           After our first date, I took Shelley to check-in to her hotel where we went upstairs and laid on the bed for a while watching tv. She tickled me, and there was this awkward moment for me where I knew she expected me to kiss her first. She continued to tickle me where we were really close in each other’s arms. I leaned in and kissed her. I remember being really glad the moment was over and ready to move on to other things, like dinner.

       C. First argument?

            I planned a Skype date with Shelley one night. Before the date, I got a cup of coffee with my ex-girlfriend. We ended up spending a couple of hours at the coffee shop before deciding to go to dinner. I quickly shot Shelley a text in the bathroom simply saying something about going to dinner, and I’d call her later. My cup of coffee turned into an 8 hour event where Shelley ended up being ditched. Needless to say, Shelley was pissed and wouldn't talk to me for like a week. Keri Jones, and her partner Cristy, straight up told me I was a fool.

2. What was your first impression of your partner?

            She was cute. She seemed normal, and I liked how non-threatening her email was to me. Typically on websites, you just get the weirdos who immediately give you their number, but she was very casual and smooth.

3. Why did you fall for her?

             She is the sweetest person I’ve ever met. She is so incredibly validating and never judgmental. She is a great listener. When she called me out on being trans and revealed she was only curious because she wanted to be respectful of my identity, I knew she was pretty special.

4. Who said the three little words first?

             She did, on the phone. I had a trip out to Colorado in April and wanted to tell her in person then, but one night she just blurted it out. I was all smiles. Perhaps it was kind of me since I sent her "Little Bit" by Lykke Li and told her that's how I felt about her. But she literally said it first.

I can't wait to see her answers!

Our first date in March of 2010

1 comment:

  1. This was adorable. That book idea is so cute!
    Just love this.

    ReplyDelete