Saturday, September 22, 2012

Life Lessons

I believe that we all have lessons in our lives that we have to learn and re-learn and re-learn again. Things that are barricades on our way to becoming better, wiser human beings. Things that keep us from allowing ourselves to love one another and get along.

Only 21, yet I feel like I know a couple of these that I'll spend my life struggling with. At 21, I've spent all of those years that I can remember struggling to remember these lessons.

One big thing I need to work on is forgiveness. My biggest source of sorrow is holding on to what others have done wrong to me. I will be working on this for the rest of my life, I can almost guarantee that. There are certain things from the past that I'm ready to let go of, and there are others that I am so prepared to carry to my grave. It's not healthy, and the logical part of me doesn't want that at all.

Another lesson is that I can't change people. People have the ability to believe whatever they want to believe. Even if my life experiences have told me that you're taking yourself down a very dark, lonely, sad path, I can't make you stop. I can't make you stop. I can't make you stop. All of me wants you to. All of me wants you to listen to my words. I want to control you. I want to make you stop. But for now, I will stop. I will stop trying because I'm wasting my efforts. 

Morrissey has been on repeat for days on days in this household lately. Today, I'll playback "Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself?" until it really sinks in. Hutch, you cannot change someone. They must find out for themselves.


"You'll never believe me so, why don't you find out for yourself?
Sick down to my heart. That's just the way it goes.
Some men, they know the full extent of your distress.
They kneel and pray, and they say:
'Long may it last.'
Why don't you find out for yourself?
Then you'll see the glass hidden in the grass.
Bad scenes come and go, for which you must allow.
Sick down to my heart. That's just the way it goes."

What are your lessons?

No comments:

Post a Comment