Monday, April 16, 2012

The Ring

Things have been crazy at work. I found it odd that I told people in my life how happy I had been for a while there, and a few of them told me, "This too shall pass." I'm sorry. What the hell? Are you that miserable seeing me anything other than miserable? It was like a bad omen. I swear, the third person said it and everything started taking a turn for the worse. Anyway, that's hardly the point.

I wanted to write a post about Shelley's ring. After searching for a long while, she finally settled on one from Gemvara.

Look how cute the box is all wrapped in a bow.


The stone is a red garnet because we don't do diamonds. If you've ever watched Blood Diamond, you'd know that diamonds come from a slave trade where the diamond companies end up buying the diamonds harvested in African mountains for weapons to the guerrilla gangs that enslave their fellow citizens, murdering and raping the women, stealing the children, and making the men work all day and night with no pay and no food. (Mega run-on sentence.)


What a pretty stone now, huh?


It really is pretty. Shelley made a great choice.


I was trying so hard to snap a picture of the words I inscribed, but I couldn't get the camera to focus. You can kind of see it. It says, "In Love, Time Flies." I sing "Blue Skies" (the Willie Nelson version) to Shelley at night and when she's upset. The chorus goes, "Never saw the sun/ Shining so bright/ Never saw things/ Going so right/ Noticing the days/ Hurrying by/ When you're in love/ My how time flies." 


I'm thrilled to be engaged to the love of my life. Shelley's amazing, and I can't get enough of her. Being with her makes the craziness of my job all worth it. I'm so lucky to have her.

I'm buying myself this engagement ring soonish.

3 comments: