Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Thermals to an Audience Who Don't Care

I sit here listening to one of my favorite bands The Thermals, and it sure is a trip down Memory Lane. The first memory that I have is of Steve, someone similar to you Lee, but not as productive and helpful. Steve was like a friend in high school who serves the sole purpose of trading back cds of your favorite bands in that moment of time. That kid you really only talked to when you were swapping cds or texting the other to say, "Hey, I have a new cd for you." Okay, realistically, I don't think many of us have that kind of relationship with anyone ever. I had a couple of them, though, and Steve was sort of one of them. Steve introduced me to The Thermals through this song:

But Steve's not really the point of this point. Damn Steve straight to your idea of Hell. Straight there.

The second thought that comes to mind is my first trip to Seattle. *Sigh* Seattle. That was such an awesome trip. The best one of my entire life. Forever, vacations will be living up to that one. It was my eighteenth birthday, my cousin and her then-husband, Ryan, flew me out to Seattle to celebrate. It was extremely generous of them, and again, the best trip of my entire life. I had told Ryan how much I loved the radio station out there called KEXP and my absolute obsession with music from the NorthWest. (Which continues to today.) He bought us tickets to musical festival put on by KEXP called Capitol Hill Block Party. All sorts of independent NorthWestern bands would be playing. Sonic Youth was there. And even more importantly, The Thermals. I had such a blast and get so bitterly sentimental when I think of that. I wish I could relive that. I wish I used the camera I borrowed from my friend at all during that trip.

The third thing that comes to mind is last summer. The Thermals importance in my life increased tenfold. In March of 2010, I had come out as trans. A month or so after that, I went to The Thermals MySpace page to see if they had any shows coming to Utah -- didn't of course. I looked at the band members box and saw the lead singer's name was Hutch Harris. Hutch immediately trumped every other idea I had for a name for myself. So then beyond an old acquaintance, who I'd have done anything to impress, liking them; beyond seeing them in concert in Seattle; the lead singer and I shared a name, and that was like "whoa!" I started listening to every song they had, finishing the task of owning all of their albums, even getting a signed copy of one of them. I started to realize the tremendous amount of religious dialogue in their lyrics. If you didn't know, religious dialogue is the number one way to my heart. 

So as I sit here listening to The Thermals, I think how incredibly grateful I am to have them in my life. I think about how much I miss those two men I mentioned. I think about how much I miss my old life. Sometimes I think about how much I miss misery*. Is that weird? Someone tell me.

*This post is meant to be longer, but I feel like it's plenty long. Yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment